Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Favre Kills Another Season


You could almost see it coming. As soon as Adrian Peterson failed to reach the endzone on a 63 yard screen pass, as soon as the Vikings came back up to the line, the aura of doom was about. Favre was in the red zone, ready to kill another fantasy season.

In a way it's my own fault. I knew the risks. With the Jets playing in the cold and Braylon Edwards having been inconsistent, I put him on the bench. I looked at the Vikings, saw that Harvin was questionable, knew that Rice had been sick, and thought to myself "Shiancoe's the guy to put in. Especially against a bad Carolina team." It seemed reasonable. But I forgot one thing - Favre in December.

As Shiancoe streaked down the field, wide open on the right side, I felt as though my playoff victory was assured, that I'd be moving on to the title game to claim the crown that was rightfully mine. Then Favre threw left. Then there was Chris Harris, wide open, 5 yards ahead of Bernard Berrian. And then the season was over.

It's my own fault. December/January Favre is making his annual appearance. Sure, he still completes better than 60% of his passes. But his TD to INT ratio, which was 24:3 through November, has predictably fallen off the cliff to 3:4. In fact, since 2004, when you look at the final 5 games of each season, Favre has now thrown 30 TDs to 50 INTs.

But it's not all his fault. You see, I knowingly put the fantasy season in the hands of Brett Favre. To invoke the OSM catch phrase, "Kill yourself." It's what I did to my season.

No comments: